Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K - NIC Constant Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveM

MIS
Sep 14, 2001
BE
Hi All,

I have just built a TEST FTP server. At the moment the config is as follows.

1 NIC with a public IP address.

The server is out side our firewall and has all the latest patches on SP2 etc. It also has C.A.'s InuclateIT installed also with the latest versions.

I have not set anything else up. FTP has been installed and the service started, but no users have been created.

So here is the problem I'm having. I just finished the setting up of this server last night, so when I left work I left the server running. When I came back to work I noticed that there had been a lot of activity on the Internet. I also noticed that the NIC card was constantly transmiting and revieving, yet there should be no activity from this server as it's not live.

Could you help.

Thanks is advance.

is it behind the firewall, or in front of the firewall ?
if it is in front of the firewall, than I can think of a few things that can be going on... ;-)
If you give me the ip address of your machine, I will show you what ports are open and how it can affect your server...
(you can send it by email) ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back