Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K<>W9x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaderzaaaa

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
BE
Hello,
I have a strange problem in a little W2K,W9x network.(4 w2k machines, 1 W98 machine)
The W98 machine has a shared folder (full acces no password)
The folder is used by the other pc's in the network.
When the user places a word file(s) or other in that folder and afterwards she wants to acces them she cannot save it under the same name when she changed something to that file.
It sais read only..(The full content of the mapped drive is shown, no acces denied errors)
The file is not flagged as read only (right klick properties) and has no pasword set and is not in use by another user...the other pc's don't seem to have the problem.
When logged on to the problem pc with another username the problem stays.
anyone has an idea? i hope this is posted in the right forum :)

txs

I know you said the share has full acess, but to what group or computers? I would check the rights on the offending PC verus one that is working.

Check for a tmp file. If you open the file Via the shared folder while in a NT box, this will create a TMP file on the 98 folder (might be hidden). THis TMP is not deleted could cause a issue with another NT box. A long shot, but I have seen some things die because of that tmp file.

I would try this.. Copy the doc, edit.. save to the 98 share... quick test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back