Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k Losing Network Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockers

MIS
Apr 26, 2001
GB
Hi All

I have a strange problem, I recently upgraded a w98 PC to W2k with the intentions of using it as an ADSL gateway to the web.
After doing the upgrade which worked fine I noticed that after a random time the PC would lose connection to the LAN (TCP/IP), when I tried to ping other machines on the network it just replyed with a connection timed out message, the only way to get the connection back online is to restart the PC but again after a period of time the connection is dropped again.
I installed the second NIC into the PC and connected the LAN to that card but the same problem happened again.

I cant find any information regarding this problem has anyone got any ideas?

Both NIC's are DLINK DFE-530TX's

Thanks in Advance

since you mentioned you just changed OS's, I would go to the manufacturer and see if there is a later driver available for your nick card for the new OS. The one within W2k's setup disk is most likely out of date.
It is also possible this is caused by an "iffy" switch port or a bad cable. Good luck, and Happy Computing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back