Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Logon Problems.. Sits on Network settings window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2004
GB
I have a few users who are reporting that when they logon to there systems in the morning the workstations seem to sit on the network settings window.

The OS is windows 2000 with sp4 installed plus the latest hotfixes. I have found that if i remove the network cable the workstations then fly through the logon procedure with no problems.

To try to resolve this issue i deleted the wins database on the 16 WINS servers in my domain and pushed it back out from the master WINS server. This doesnt seem to have resolved my issue either.

I have looked through technet and come up empty handed.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the root of this problem as i am left empty handed as to a resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did this start happening after SP4 (or anything in particular) was applied? Maybe try uninstalling whatever was installed just before this happened. Or did it just start happening randomly for no apparent reason?

I had one server that started behaving similarly. After a week of troubleshooting over the phone with Microsoft, we finally figured out that it was because the network card was going bad. Swapping the network card with a different one resolved the issue for me.

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Hi Packdragon,

It seems to be hapening randomly at 3 out of 16 subnets within my domain. Also its not just limited to laptops, its base units too.

I installed SP4 to try to combat this problem however this does not seem to have resolved the issue. What i dont understand is how it seems to jump from one subnet to another. Like you say maybe it is just that, a bad NIC but sureley this cant be the case as like i say its not just base units but laptops also.

Thanks for the response

How about the switch? Any changes there? I had this problem recently when electricians came in to do some wire pulling and I think they shorted something and the switch went into a loop for awhile. It finally straightened out on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back