Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K install over WinME problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutay

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
US
I have a Dell Dimension 4100, 80 G hard drive, and tried to upgrade from WinME to Win2000 Pro. After installing, I seem to have lost internet access, email, video drivers (all giant fonts with only 16 colors), and the machine doesn't recognize my printer, PDA hardware, and a couple of other things that I can't remember. Any idea of what I did wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks...

You might want to check the compatability of the software and hardware functions you have lost. Some things that have worked with ME might not work with 2000. I would check any websites for any Windows 2000 specific drivers for things like your printer, PDA hardware, etc. You can also check Microsoft's website for the Hardware Compatability Checklist, this will tell you what is compatable with WIN2000.

Thanks. I was able to retrieve most of the drivers from Dell. Now all that's lacking is internet/email capabilities. When I check the properties on the "Network and Dial-up Connections", there's nothing listed for a LAN connection. Running hardware wizard tells me there's "No Ethernet Controller" and "No PCI Simple Communications Controller". I'm stumped as to where to locate those drivers.

Look in the Device manager under the System icon in Control Panel and see who the manufacturer and what the model is of your NIC. Check their website for any drivers for your model. I think this will clear up any issues with your email.

Be sure to get the service pack 2 from microsoft. There some compatibility updates in there too I believe.

Thanks for all the suggestions! The device manager doesn't recognize the controller. It shows "Manufacturer : Unknown". That's probably why when I right click the "Network & Dial-up Connection" icon, there's no LAN connection showing. Also, I'll download the service pack after this is all sorted out and I'm able to connect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back