Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Freezes Only While ON-Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohann

Technical User
May 12, 2002
US
I have reformated the hard drive and reinstalled W2K and installed Update #2 but not #3 and Still ahve the same freezing problem.

I dual boot with windows 98SE and W2K. It only freezes while in W2K and only while I am connected to the internet.
I downloaded all the Microsoft Updates and installed them.

While troubleshooting, I would remove one program at a time to try to find an offending program, but no luck.

It happens very randomally maybe 5 minutes after I log on or 2 hours after I log on. No pattern, no specific web sites cause it. I have logged my activity and there is no pattern whatsoever.

I am thinking now it may be some setting in TCP-IP. But I don't know enough to track it down.

Can anyone tell what I maight try to change in TCP-IP or other network settings to change or Com port sittings.

I have a IBM Thinkpad 2621-460 and Windows 98SE works flawslessly.

John John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

I had the iddentical issue with my pc, it would sometimes freeze as i logged on, maybe only after a few hours, it was always random, so i refformatted, reinstalled 2000 and logged on to the net, without installing any applications. everything worked fine, i have now reinstalled all my software with no problems and my internet connection is still running steady after 38Hrs.

Good luck
SMILY1

Have you checked the event viewer for any error messages you may be getting?

Have checked the Event Viewer. It doesn't show anything about the freeze. Since it only occurs when online (with either IE6 or Netscape), I think it has something to do with the Com port or a TCP-IP setting. Maybe a network setting of some sort. It sure is frustrating.

John John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back