Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dparker44

MIS
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have a W2K domain, (3) DC's planning to rebuild a DC so I used dcpromo to add another, this gave me (3) DC's.
Had to rebuild a standalone server and can not add it back to the domain, get message is that a duplicate name already exist. I did deleted the server name from all (3) DC, but still receive this message .... any ideas

I could be wrong here..
but wouldn't the pc's info be stored in active directory until it is manually removed? So actually, the computer does still exsist to the other dc's in your domain because they all hold it's info in active directory..

What I would do..
..Check out AD Users & Comp's and make sure that the pc is nowhere to be found.. "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..
then open your mouth and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

"I should of been a doctor.." Me

Yes, the information would reside in AD. If the computer was not removed from the domain nicely, you will have to manually delete it from AD on at least one server and either wait for a replication or force one.
If you were using Server Manager to delete the account...this doesn't always work. It is better to use Active Directory Users and Computers.

Dana Hallenbeck

In AD\Users and Computers\Computers is where I deleted the server on my DC's .....

What for replication... or from your DC doing DHCP, DNS, bla bla bla.. try to ping the name of that pc you want to put in and see if it shows you an address..
"tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..

The server I want to add to my domain is in the DNS table, but not listed on my domain in AD. I can ping the server name and receive its IP (I use static IP for Servers). When I right click My Computer and try to move the server from a workgroup and add the server name and domain name is when I receive the message .... Name exist on domain

I don't know man..
maybe try using DHCP to let the addresses be asigned by the server itself and then promote it to a dc...??? "tis better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool..

I would say at this point to remove any record of it on your network. Remove it from DNS and WINS. Give it a static IP address when you build it and let it register itself again.

It sounds like you are correctly doing everything else.

Dana Hallenbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back