Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K DC using Unix Bind 9.x error and the perl h2n script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clightner

MIS
Jul 29, 2002
US
I have recently upgraded a PDC to W2K at a company where I do not work full-time. DNS is handled with BIND 9.x on a Solaris box. I have allowed dynamic updates for the domain controller and it was able to update DNS without incedent. However, it is not able to update its services under the four subdomains; _sites, _msdcs, _tcp and _udp. The company uses a perl script named h2n to convert the host file into their DNS zone files. I am getting event ID 5774 errors in my DC's event log stating that services could not be registered in the subdomains:

NETLOGON Error None 5774 N/A DNS Registration of the DNS record 'gc._msdcs.netconnection.com.br. 600 IN A x.x.x.x failed with the following error:
DNS operation refused.

I know Bind 9.x supports Windows 2000's DNS requirements. A post in this forum showed some users have continued to use BIND as their primary DNS (post heading: DNS operation refused - March 1, 2004).

Can anyone give me some direction as to where to look to resolve this issue? I am convinced the single stumbling block is the creation of these four subdomains. I can allow updates once they are created. Unfortunately it has been a couple of years since I have worked with DNS and I have not found the answer to this on-line.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back