Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k DC in a Windows 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

genexxa

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2003
CA
Ok... i have a windows 2003 domain with only one DC... i also have a windows 2000 member server that i want to promote to DC...BUT i dont know what is the impact...

W2k dc in a w2k3 domain??? it is gonna work fine??

Thank you

Well... it works the other way around, but that's no guarantee. I'd say it probably will, but if someone else out there has concrete proof... :)

Will

I have done it and had good luck. You may need to extend the schema, but this is done by running software included on the 2003 cd.

Micah A. Norman

You dont need to extend the schema to add a 2000 DC to a 2003 domain.

The key is making sure your domain and forest are at the correct functional levels to add a 2000 DC. The domain needs to be at either 2000 mixed or 2000 native, and the forest needs to be at 2000.

If the levels are higher (say the domain is at 2003 interim or 2003 full), it will not allow you to add a 2000 DC. Once you are at a 2003 functional level, you cannot go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back