Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K connect to NT Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

anticore

Technical User
Aug 26, 2001
HK
Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to run a Windows NT Terminal Server connection on a Windows 2000 workstation. Thatis, is there a client for this or is there only 2000 to 2000 using Terminal Services and NT to NT using Terminal Server sessions.

Any help appreciated

Regards

I believe NT4 has the client connection disks you can create to install connection on other Windows OSes. Windows 2000 will use the same as the Win98 clients use. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

If you have problems, try something like vnc. It's free, and if you install it as a service on your server, you can go and a gray screen will come up. There is an options tab, and if you select that before you sign on there will be an option for sharing the desktop. I believe TightVNC does it automatically. I've never liked TS because you can have more than one admin working on a server and not know what the other is doing. This way, if someone's on it, you know. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Whatever creativity is, it is in part a solution to a problem."
Brian Aldiss (b. 1925); British science fiction writer.

Thanks for the replies!

I am using vnc at the moment but performance is lacking a bit and we are considering testing TS as an alternative (a much cheaper alternative then Citrix etc).
btw: the share desktop option does not seem to initiate individual sessions for each connection, I ran two simultaneously and programs ran on both sessions....

I will try the NT4 client on w2k desktops.., thanks buthcrecon

Regards...

Check out the Remote Desktop Client from Microsoft. This should install on any OS, and allow you to connect to any version of TS. If you mean, can a W2K Pro machine run TS, no is the answer. This feature is available on XP Pro, and can be run using the same client. I have used VNC, Dameware and PCA, and far and away TS beats them all. Just set the # of logins to 1 under Admin Tools/Terminal Services Configuration to only allow one Admin in at a time. By default only two connections are allowed on a W2K Terminal Server that is running in Admin Mode. If this is an APP Server, the one login obviously would not do..

You can also try tightvnc. It's so fast you think your at the desktop. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Accident is the name of the greatest of all inventors."
Mark Twain (1835-1910), U.S. author.

I need the W2K client to be able to access an NT Server 4.0...and there lies the problem, since TS is not installable on NT Server. I have setup Terminal Services on remote W2K Servers which is working great however I will need a different solution for the NT host, it appears the Remote Desktop Client is an XP product which can't really help me..

Thanx for all the help

Regards

I have tried TightVNC, however it does not allocate sessions to each remote connection. You only share the same single session. This is a problem in my case since 2 or more users will need to run the same app...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back