Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2k and NT4 profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I just got a batch of 25 new machines, all running w2k pro. On our NT4 server network we use Roaming/Mandatory User Profiles. If I try to logon to the w2k workstation I get an error Access is denied, windows cannot copy file \\profiles$\userprofile to location...... windows cannot log you on because the profile can not be loaded, contact your network administrator.. well I AM the administrator and I cant figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions. Ive checked technet but cant seem to find anything.

thanks

Have you added each machine to the domain (using C:\WINNT\system32\SRVMGR.EXE)??
This can also be done when you assign a domain in the network properties of the Win2K units.

RacerX

yes the machines are joined to the domain properly. after spending some time on it, it appears that the nt4 profiles are structured differently from the w2k profiles.. ie things are not located in the same directory structure so when the roaming/mandatory profile tries to load the subdirectories are not where it expects to find them and it craps out....

In the Advanced tab of the Users and groups dialog box, you can click on the advanced user management button. This will bring up the users and groups snapin. Double click the user, then click on the profile tab. You can then set the path for the members profile.

Hope this helps,
rblue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back