Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K and Novell 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
GB

Has anone experienced login problems when logging into a Novell 5.1 server (replica) on a master - replica environment only via W2K clients.

We are using a mix of Novell 3 and Novell 5.1, I know not ideal but for the moment we get numerous problems, ie

Tree or Server cannot be found

I have set the W2K machine to have their internal ipx number and their frame type to 802.3 and this usually works but they keep giving these errors.

What client are you using? With W2K you should be using Novell client 4.8 with sp3 and then in NWclient properties> Protocol preferences tab> set ipx as first.

See if that helps. Let me know.

Good luck,

Mark ;-)

When you login in there should be an advanced button on the lower right corner. When you select the advance button, there should be a place to enter Tree, context and server.

Mark
mark@acsconsult.com

NW 5.1 is primarily an IP Operating system. Even though it will work via IPX a lot of functionality is lost if you only use IPX. You want to make sure IP is enabled on your servers and that you have setup SLP (depending on how big your tree is you might want to scope the directory agents).
Have a look at for info on setting up SLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back