Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K always creates new User folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT2000

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
RU
Dear People,
Every time a user logs into one of the computers here, the computer creates a new user folder for her. Meaning, in the Documents and Settings folder, the computer adds a file like the following; if the usual user folder is just the users name, ie: User, then the computer adds a folder like this one; User.Domain. In doing so the user loses all their settings and I have to keep on setting it all up again.
Why does the computer keep on doing that? And what solutions are there? Thanx in advance for any help you can give! Have a good one!

Mike

I actually had something similiar happen to me, when I started messin' around with access rights to the Documents and Settings folder, changing the inherited rights.. I can't remember exactly what I changed it TO, but I learned a lesson that one.. after about 15 different profiles being created.. .000 .001 .002 etc. That's one thing you should check.

Sounds like a local versus domain issue. When you logon to machine for first time, windows creates your user folder - normally as your user name. But if you are logging on as a domain user, and there is already a local user folder with that name, it will append .domainname to user name when it creates folder. Similarly, if domain user was created first, it will append .machinename to user name when it creates folder. Local & domain users with same name can't share profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back