Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2K Adv Server with RAID 1 (Disk Image)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITGUY53

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
i have a w2k adv server with 2 17 hard setup as RAID 1 disk image. disk 1 is set to primary and disk 2 is to accept the image of disk 1. 2 partiition has been created on disk 1 with C: having 8gigs, and D: having 10 gigs used strictly for Appz. check disk keeps wanting to run on D: and can not go past stage 1, 80 percent. so something is wrong with the D: partition. i've tried every possible solution to get around the check disk but was not able to. only solution is to rebuild... maybe... here's my question...

since i have RAID 1 setup between disk 1 and 2, and my D: appz is all jacked up... can i break the RAID between 1 and 2 and boot off of disk 2? or since disk 1 & 2 is on RAID 1, could the bad file(s) have been copied over to disk 2? to where it will bring up the OS without check disk.

thanks in advance...

Is it a Windows configured Software RAID? If so you might try to change the boot.ini to startup from the mirrored disk and check the files...

no it is not a windows software RAID setup. it is a hardware.

In some way much easier, but the process might differ between hardware RAID systems(hot-plug or not, internal or external HDD) - in general simply pull out disk 1... your RAID hardware should instantly switch over to the mirrored disc.

However, when setting disc 1 back into place, your system should recognize this disk as a replacement disk and rebuild the mirror from scratch - do not touch the system until this rebuild is done or your data will definitely be gone...

What kind of hardware raid controller card do you have.... onboard? Highpoint, Adaptec, etc?

Chris Clancy, EnCE
Miles Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back