Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2003Server file sharing question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tearose

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2005
US
We've been using an older server with W2K Server, and will be migrating soon to a new server with W2003 Server. We've had a file sharing problem that I don't want to take to the new server in the migration. There are quite a few shared folders on the current server, with numerous files in each. They have been saved there by different staff. Sometimes when a staff member tries to access a file or subfolder of a shared folder, they are denied permission. The files and subfolders are obviously not inheriting the sharing properties of the parent folder. How can I ensure that they do, in either W2K or W2003? Thanks,
Jill

Have you tried the "Inherit from parent..." and "Replace permission entries on child..." options under folder security?

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

Do I need to do that for every shared folder, or is there a place in Active Directory where I can do it universally? I haven't noticed the "Replace..." that you mentioned, so maybe that's what I need to look for.
jill

Right click the folder, Properties, Security tab, Advanced button (at bottom right), the check box below "Inherit from parent..." should be "Replace permission entries on child...".

You can have this apply to subfolders/files of the folder you set this permission on. If you want to do it to the whole drive you'd need to set security for the drive you want to share, but, for security reasons, I suggest against this.

Let me know how it turns out.

Well...

I checked the Replace... box for the folder that's caused the most problems. I had already reset meny file permissions in this folder as the problems arose. The result of checking that checkbox was numerous windows popping up with error messages along the lines of Permission denied for every subfolder and file I'd already reset.

It sounds like someone other than yourself or the administrators group has ownership of the objects. You can take ownership of the root folder (make sure the 'Replace owner on subfolders...' is checked), modify the security settings how ever you want, then apply those settings to the subfolders via the 'Inherit...' or 'Replace...' function.

I went through something very similar a few years back and I'm 99% sure this is how I fixed it. Test it on a small folder and if it works apply it to the whole thing.

Thanks Mich- that seems to have fixed the problem. Now I can setup the folders on the new servers right, and apply group policy for permissions, etc.so this doesn't come up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back