Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2003 Server chews up bandwidth after network comes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilot1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
I have a very strange problem. I recently upgraded our old W2K servers to W2003. We have had a Lan to Lan Cisco VPN tunnel between the two servers for a couple of years now. I have been noticing that when the network is interrupted, or the server is rebooted, it starts to send a HUGE amount of ICMP traffic to the gateway of the firewall for quite a while, charts show over 1200 packes a second!. The traffic is being logged on the firewall live logging. Suddenly the traffic quits, and all seems normal. All the logs in event viewer look fine, except for an occasional entry saying that the RPC server is not available. But otherwise the logs are clean. We have no other replication or authentication issues, any ideas?

I am assuming this server doesn't perform any type of uni-casting or multicasting. It is possible that you server has been infected with a virus/trojan since it could sending off ping requests (most common source of ICMP requests) to the firewall. You may want to look into that first. Hope this helps

Looks clean, this server is the Symantec Enterprise virus console, and server. Good idea, will keep an eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back