Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W2000Server vs Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
What exactly are the main differences between them?
What can I do with server that can't with professional and vice-versa?

W2KPro, W2K Server, and W2K Advanced Server all share the exact same base 32 bit ring one kernel. This is underscored by the fact that the exact same service pack 3 recently released can be applied to each of the versions of this kernel. There are features that all 3 kernels share (Such as IIS) and yes, W2KPro is a scaled down version. For example, in W2K pro, one is limited to 10 concurrent IIS connections where Server and Advanced server are not.
Even W2K server is a feature limited version of Advanced Server in that the load balancing and failover cluster features are disabled in the less expensive version.
W2K Pro's abilities from an enterprise management standpoint to act as a server can be leveraged similar to a Linux or free BSD box in some cases. for instance, if you have a remote site with less than 10 users that needs to run a nightly FTP batch job to update Virus *.dat files. there is little need to pay for a full version of W2K server to get the job done. Do not confuse the 64 bit W2K enterprise server with the above response. It is definately a different animal. What you need to do is clearly define the NBT and TCPIP server requirements of the machines role, and choose the appropriate version based on cost and function availability.

So with W2K server I can easilly do everything I can with W2K Pro right?
And for example application/hardware drivers for W2K Pro would work in W2K Server environment also?
I'm asking this coz I'm building a small office and we are not sure in wich system to install, we are balancing between W2K Server or W2k Pro, or should I also consider XP? I've heard of a lot of compatibilty issues regarding XP...

Are the Microsoft DNS, WINS and DHCP servers available on W2K Pro?

Dan

Go with W2K Server for your main server, and use w2k pro for clients. You'll find a lot of neet things in the server that can't be done on a pro machine. A pro machine cannot be a dhcp server, a wins server or a dns server. You also cannot use what's called terminal service to access a pro machine from a remote, (Though you could use a third party software like vnc). You can have your server running dhcp automatically giving out IP addresses and have all your clients connecting to the internet using rass. I personally don't like xp, but that's just personal preference. Good luck and have fun. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"Take nothing on its looks: take everything on evidence. There's no better rule."
Charles Dickens (1812-1870); English novelist, dr

Dan, the server versions of those utilities are not available in Win2k Pro. However, you CAN take a Pro machine and share its internet connection with another NIC in the machine and that card will provide dynamic IPs for client machines. Almost like DHCP. I have done this with my network at home. :)

in a brief, servers (OS) (W2k Server, Advanced Server, DataCenter), as the word says provide services to your network (Email, DCHP, DNS, RAS, Terminal Serices, etc), and the workstations (W2k Professional, XP) receive those services or use them. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

I've always considered servers to be pc's on steroids. Always gonna out do pro machines and koquito is on the money. Unless your really strapped for money, go with the tried and true, use a server to serve you workstations. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]
"Take nothing on its looks: take everything on evidence. There's no better rule."
Charles Dickens (1812-1870); English novelist, dr

Ok tkz for the advices.
Just one more thing everything that runs on W2K Pro would also run in the Server version right? Don't need specific drivers of some sort this is correct?

As long as the soft says, compatible with Win2k, it will (should) run in any platform with win2k, but you shouldn't use your server as a workstation (installing every software you would like to use). THe more software you load, the higher the probabilities of a crash(problems), and then if a crash occurs on the server, the whole network will be down (or some services depending on the problem). Even without them (adding softwares) sometimes you have problems..BUt well to your question, yes you can run them on both. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back