Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W10 update 6 December 2015 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nclouston

Programmer
May 17, 2009
GB
Came down this morning to find KB3120677 had installed overnight. A load of unwanted stuff from MS added without my permission and trying to uninstall some, e.g. MovieMaker, when I right-click and click 'Uninstall' take me to the Control Panel Uninstall page where the thing does not appear so I cannot, seemingly, uninstall. They don't appear in CCleaner either. Some applications, e.g. Regina Rexx and SPFLite, are shown as having been updated but they are definitely nothing to do with MS.

Much worse: the update reverted my default browser selection.

The game coders do not seem to understand what switching animation off means - there is still animation there. So, poor understanding of English or poor QA testing.

It is getting to such a state that even a very tolerant/lazy guy like myself will soon switch to non-MS for an OS. I already run Ubuntu on a dual-boot XP machine (and PCDOS on an old 386 - to be upgraded to OS/2 Warp!).

Nic

If this is a recent occurrence then try fixing things via System Restore.

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7, or 8, or 10).

See, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\ Open System Restore

New Microsoft tool will hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

A workaround to Turn Off Windows Update in Windows 10

>MovieMaker

It is part of Windows Essentials - you need to change/modify Windows Essentials, and then pick MovieMaker to remove

If this is a recent occurrence then try fixing things via System Restore.
As stated it was 'this morning' and the date of the post was 6/12/15. The only things needing fixing are MS QA/understanding English and getting rid of a couple of applications. The latter was doneby following the tip from strongm - thanks.

Another alternative would have been to back out the update.

Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back