Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W10 Defender blocking installation of uTorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncp

Technical User
Aug 28, 2005
GB

I have a legacy edition of uTorrent installer on my PC which
I'm trying to run under Windows 10 but Defender blocks it.
I'm not convinced malware is the problem. It installed uTorrent
under Vista & this ran without problems for many years.

In Defender security centre =>Firewall and network prtection
"Domain network" "Private Network" and "Public Network" are all ON
Within these threee options the "Blocks all incoming conections" box is NOT ticked.

In App and Browser Control "Check apps and Files" , "smartscreen for ME"
and "SmartScreen for Windows apps" are all set to default

In "Virus and threat protection settings"

"Real Time Protection" is ON
"Cloud Delivered Protection" is ON
Other options are OFF

Under "Exclusions" the following is set for "File"
"C:\directoty1\directory2\uTorrent.exe"
And under "process" I've entered uTorrent

What have I missed ?

If you're positive it's not infected, turn off "Real Time Protection" to install.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Use Windows Sandbox to check to see if any isses before you install

johncp said:
Under "Exclusions" the following is set for "File"
"C:\directoty1\directory2\uTorrent.exe"
And under "process" I've entered uTorrent

Do you actually mean 'directoty1' or is it a typo? (in which case it could be a reason why the excusion doesn't work.)

What legacy version are you trying to install. I installed uTorrent 2.2.1 without any problems (nor any exclusions).

Have you considered using something like sordum.org's small, free, portable Defender Control to temporarily disable Defender?

Hope this helps.. .

If you're positive it's not infected, turn off "Real Time Protection" to install."
Done that, Still doesn't install.
Bizarrely when I hit the uTorrent install box I get a msg 'G5X. The device has either stopped responding or been disconnected' (G5X is my camera which is NOT connected) and, to add insult to injury, the defended symbol sits
smugly inside the install box.

"What legacy version are you trying to install".
V1.8.4. It worked fine under Vista which is why I wanted to keep it

"I installed uTorrent 2.2.1 without any problems (nor any exclusions)".
I'll find V2.2.1 and try that

"Have you considered using something like sordum.org's small, free, portable Defender Control to temporarily disable Defender?"
No. It should not be necessary to use a 3rd party app to install a non W10 app.
I'll resort to sordum if all fails.

"Do you actually mean 'directoty1' or is it a typo?"
It's a typo. Directory1 and directory2 are just placeholders for the actual directory path.

/*
Apologies . This is off topic but I must rant about W10 Pro. IT IS MONETIZED GARBAGE.
I migrated from Vista 3 months ago and the experience has been AWFUL.

The CD would not install over Vista, I had to buy a new clean boot HD.

The install changed the drive letters of the other 3 HDs.

In sleep mode W10 phones home to install more M$ garbage I don't want AND when it did it crashed my system
necessitating a OS reinstall. Setting 'connections' to 'metered' doesn't seem to stop it updating.
I disconnect the ethernet cable when in 'sleep'. From 'shutdown' the PC takes an age to boot.

And 1 time out of 3 when W10 it comes out of sleep it disconnects my keyboard requiring me to momentarily
disconnect its USB

W10 contains so much bloatware my 4 core 2.8 Ghz Phenom II runs like a 8 bit uP so I'm looking at a new MoBo/i7.

The W10 inbuilt mail client 'Mail' has deliberate bugs to dissuade its use and to push you to buy 365.
I defy anyone to find where 'Mail' stores emails AND it doesn't use the indutry standard .eml format
so you can't back up new emails with a simple script looking at the file attributes.

I had a fight with W10 to stop it opening pdfs with Edge, jeez Adobe must be p!ssed

Industry/Govnments/somebody sane need to write a new operating system, maybe fork Linux, & create a universal OS
which does NOT demand an expensive upgrade every 2 years, doesn't need a PhD in OSs to master it,
doesn't lock everything down so tight you're forced to use the native apps, isn't bug ridden, doesn't need a 32 core processor to do simple tasks in a week, isn't vulnerable to malware , doesn't need a bunch of IT managers to keep it
running, doesn't necessitate taking a holiday while it updates . . . .

Think of the saving
end rant */

Your rant about Windows 10 doesn't help your issue one iota. Hopefully it made you feel better... whatever.

Why try to install uTorrent v1.8.4? It's not been supported since Windows Vista so what's your reasoning for trying to install it in Windows 10? It makes no sense whatsoever.

If you want an old version of uTorrent for stability then at least choose a version that Windows 10 supports, like v2.2.1.

Hope this helps...

OR install a newer torrent engine like 'qBittorrent'

@johncp: Seems, that you are very unhappy with Windows.
If you don't need it for business, why should you bother with it and pay for it and it's associated apps like Office 365. The last Windows version that I had on my home computer was Vista. Then i rather switched to Linux and since then on my home computer i only using Linux.
However, the company i working for uses Windows, so I'm forced to use Windows for business.

Thanx to gbuaghma and Rick998
I switched off "real time protection" and donwloaded uTorrent V2.2.1
It installed instantly. Another W10 embuggerance beaten

My rant about w10 was not relevant to my prob. or this forum but it made me feel better !
I'll do a W10 critique in an appropriate forum. It's a vampire that needs exposing to
light to kill it. If business switched away it would die.

I'll look at linux but I've had no experience of VM and only limited exposure to
linux at work so I'll get a fresh boot disk to install and experiment.
My OS need is mainly for business and some coding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back