Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

W/S Anti-Virus Suggestions on NW Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoppett

Technical User
Apr 17, 2007
GB
Does anybody have a suggestion for what workstation anti-virus solution to use on a Netware 6.5 network?

There are several network solutions that keep an administrator informed and allow the distribution of signatures, but they all seem to require a MS server.

I used to use both Mcafee and Norton that would allow distribution of virus definitions from a Novell server, but the monitoring of workstations would require a Windows server to run the management console piece.

It really is kind of unrealistic to think that you can keep all the Windows servers away. See if you can use Windows NT 4.0 for the server application and then you could pick it up cheap!!!

I really like Kaspersky. I used to be a fan of Symantec, but it has become bloatware. McAfee was always difficult to manage on the desktops.

Regarding the Windows requirements, this is a reality everybody has to deal with. If the developers only write to Windows, you are stuck with Windows boxes. This is unfortunate.

One thing you could do is just virtualize a Windows box on top of SLES10 using XEN. Then at least you don't have to shell out extra money on hardware.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back