Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vulnerability Assessment Procedure - Patches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

city100

Technical User
Mar 23, 2007
US
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on how I should be keeping my system up-to-date?

I've read there is a Vulnerability Assessment Procedure that you can carry out.

Then you class patches into critical and non critical.

But how would I know where to get a list of patches etc. say from microsoft? is there software you can use that will tell you when they have released patches?

thanks

Microsoft releases patches on "Patch Tuesday" each month. IIRC, it's the second Tuesday of the month. You can run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer to determine if key security patches are not installed. Running Windows Update will also list other updates that are available.

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn. Come say hi, look for a job, have some fun.
Pat Richard MVP

thank you, that's very kind. thanks for your response!

If you are managing a lot of computers and server, you can also run WSUS which is a free server software from MS that downloads updates for you to deploy out. It has some simple reports that can show what computers are not updating and/or failing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back