Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VTP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdiaz008

MIS
Nov 20, 2008
I have a 3500 XL in server mode. If I change this switch from server to transparent will the switch keep the vlans or will I have to reconfigure vlans on this switch?

yes, it will keep the vlans

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Does the switch keep the vlans because server and transparent create vlan.dat? If so, when changing from server to transparent, transparent will use the existing vlan.dat? It will not create a new or overwrite the existing vlan.dat?

it creates the vlans in the running config as opposed to the vlan.dat

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

Star him!

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Folks:

I think there is one more important feature: when the switch is in server mode, if you add new VLAN to the server, the server will update all clients within the same domain with the new VLAN information. When the switch is in tranparent mode - it won't.

Becareful when you created a new VLAN in transparent mode then switch back to server mpde. You may inadverdently updated the whole network with new VLANs that you were not intended to do.

I haven't done this before. Someone please clarify!

KC

Yes, when you change the switch back to server mode within the same vtp domain and password being the same the newly created vlan(s) info will be passed on to the vtp clients in the domain.

this is not 100% true. the revision number is the key.

Isn't it ture that the rvision # would also be updated?
Why revision # is the key?
By looking at the revision # then you know that it has been updated - that's how I know the new version of VLAN is applied.

when you switch vtp modes or change the vtp domain the revision number is reset to zero for that switch (transparent mode the revision number is always zero). when you switch it back to server mode the revision number is still zero. if you have other servers in the domain their revision number will be higher than this switch and will overwrite the vlan information. this is why you NEVER EVER connect even a new switch to your environment until you can verify that the config is clean and vtp will not screw you.

kcbell---also, the server MUST be configured with the same VTP domain password for it to overwrite vlan info, if VTP is being used. Uncle and VIC mentioned that as well.

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back