Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vsw NIC switching promiscuous/programmed mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

reclspeak

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2002
GB
On a service domain I have two x quad NIC's, with IPMP enabled for one port cabled-up on each quad.

One of the NIC's has failed-over in the past - but wasn't noted (its a test environment.) Accordingly the virtual NIC in the guest LDOM's have done the same. I've been trying to figure-out the cause of the failover, but it goes back beyond messages and backups.

I can though see this in messages, for the NIC in question;

Oct 8 11:18:33 serverx vsw: [ID 365659 kern.info] NOTICE: vsw1: switching device nxge3 back to programmed mode
Oct 8 11:18:40 serverx vsw: [ID 701967 kern.info] NOTICE: vsw1: switching device nxge3 into promiscuous mode
Oct 8 11:21:38 serverx vsw: [ID 365659 kern.info] NOTICE: vsw1: switching device nxge3 back to programmed mode
Oct 8 11:21:46 serverx vsw: [ID 701967 kern.info] NOTICE: vsw1: switching device nxge3 into promiscuous mode
Oct 8 11:26:08 serverx vsw: [ID 365659 kern.info] NOTICE: vsw1: switching device nxge3 back to programmed mode
Oct 8 11:26:15 serverx vsw: [ID 701967 kern.info] NOTICE: vsw1: switching device nxge3 into promiscuous mode

I'm not rightly sure what would provoke the virtual switch module to repeatedly do this - I know that vsw can run in a number of modes, but does anyone know what would provoke the above behaviour, and would it have an impact on IPMP?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back