Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS Writers Keep Locking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

100mbs

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
I am running Several Windows 2008 servers DataCenter. I am using Symantec BackupExec 2010 to back up the guests on the hosts and to do file level backups.

I am having a major issue where the vss writers what i call lock up. The only way i can get a repsonse from the command "vssadmin list writers" is to reboot the server.

I have patched servers, with no luck.

Only 1 backup job runs at a time.

I tried running a single backup of the guest and it fails with the same erros.

On the backup logs i get the following errors:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\Host-Server\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\Guest-Server". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11233 - VSS Snapshot error. A Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot is already running on the target computer. Only one snapshot can run at a time. Try running the job later.

This is from the command "vssadmin list writers":

C:\vssadmin list writers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Waiting for responses.
These may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared.

Anybody have any ideas? If i reboot the host the issues go away but eventually it reverts back to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back