Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS Tutorial needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

okrumnow

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
DE
Can anybody please point me to a beginners tutorial on VSS, ie. how to set it up, how to administer ist, setiing groups/user etc.
Thanx in advance,

Olaf

I am looking for a tutorial on SourceSafe. I did a search on SourceSafe in Amazon and ComputerManuals and got no results.

Is SourceSafe supported at all? Is there nothing by Microsoft Press?

Surely there must be something out there!

John

What are you using VSS with. I've had experience of setting up VFP6.0 and VSS and that took me ages to work out as there is no decent tutorials or help anywhere.

The first thing you do is set up a VSS database using the VSS Administrators Tool. (Tools, create database)

You can then add users to the VSS database again with the admin tool (Users, Add users).

Use Tools, Otions and select the "project security" tab to set security options.

Thats basically it for setting up the minimum. The hard part was finding out how to use it with the other product; in our case Visual Foxpro. If you're using Visual Foxpro then I may be able to help if not then the best of luck - it took me weeks to crack.

Finally I have found a book on SourceSafe. I haven't received it yet. Only Amazon has it.

This is the book info.

Essential SourceSafe
by Ted Roche, Larry C. Whipple (Editor)

Paperback - 228 pages (June 1, 2001)
Hentzenwerke Corporation; ISBN: 1930919050

Agreed, that book is what I've been able to find, but order the eBook version of it from the publisher's website. You can download it in PDF, and it's cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back