Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS integration with VC++ environment problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrkrReds

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
Hi
One of the developer in my company had a big problem when he attempted to unintegrate his vc++ project with VSS. He selected "remove from source control option" in Visual Studio. THis began deleting his files from VSS. Does this option mean remove files from source control or remove integration with source control". And how does one go by and unintegrate with VSS. And he says, he never integrated his Visual C++ with VSS. We recently upgraded from Vss5.0 to VSS6.0.
I did not see any flags to check for integration/unintegration in Tools/options in Visual C++ environment.

Thanx in advance.

Reposting this message.

Did anyone come across this problem? If so please advise.
thanx

Posting this the third time.
Does anyone have a solution for my problem.
There is one way I found out how to unintegrate vss with VC++.
Uninstall VC++ and reinstall it.
In other words install order should be: Install VSS and then install VC++

This is not a practical solution. Did anyone come across this problem, and if so PLEASE HELP.

thanx

Posting the same question again.

Any ideas?????????????????
thanx

If you are trying to do what I think you are (wanting to work on a project that is only stored on the local hard disk) then try this :-

Copy the project folders to another location.

Open this new project.

You should get message saying 'Cannot open project. Would you like to browse for this project'

Answer 'NO'.

If this is not what you're trying to do, please give me some better background info & I'll see what alternatives I can give you. (I've spent many a unhappy hour playing with VSS !!)

Spencer Window (not a joke name)
spencer.window@eastmidlandcomputers.ltd.uk

If you want to disconnect a Visual Studio project from source control -

1. Delete all files named *.scc from the project folder and any subfolders.
2. Remove the read-only attribute from all files in the folder and subfolders.
3. Edit the .DSP file in NotePad. Remove any lines beginning with "# PROP Scc_ProjName" and "# PROP Scc_LocalPath".
4. Edit the .DSW file in NotePad. Remove the lines "begin source code control" and "end source code control", and all lines between.

The project will now open in Visual Studio without connecting to SourceSafe. The project is still present in the SourceSafe data base. If you choose to delete it from SourceSafe, be sure that you select to "Leave" the local copy.

There's a better way to do it, less work involved.
There is a registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SourceCodeControlProvider named ProviderRegKey. It's value currently is probably Software\Microsoft\SourceSafe since you're using SourceSafe. Just delete the value (don't delete the key) or rename the key. This will remove the integration and also give you the possibility to get it back by just reversing the change you made. I wrote an app to do this very thing. It's small and light and was pretty easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back