Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS: How can I make SQL Query Analyser as my registered application

Status
Not open for further replies.

essa2000

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
CA
Dears ;

I am using VSS for my .sql files and when I check out any file it is not opening in my SQL Query Analyser. I have to select the complete path of isqlw.exe from browser and then it opens those files in it. I don't want to select that path each time. I have done it before when I was not using Visual Studio .Net , now it opens those sql files in VS.NET editor.

Similarly , I want to open my Coldfusions files .cfm into Coldfusion editor instead of notepad.

There is an option in Check out pop up to select the registered application for particular files. But, I think when I installed VS.NET then my registered application for sql files is VS.NET instead of Query analyser.

So, is there a way to change my registered application to SQL Query Analyser.

I have also posted this question on VSS forum.

Thanks in advance.

Muhammad Essa Mughal
Software Engineer
iLogic Inc.

You can change it in Windows Explorer. Use the menu option Tools->Folder Options. Then select the File Types tab. Find SQL and change the application it opens with.

Hiya,

In your SourceSafe ini file there will be some entries which you can edit to force SourceSafe to open the files up
with certain applications.
Look for something like this:

.reg (Win) = notepad.exe
.vbp (Win) = notepad.exe
.vcp (Win) = notepad.exe
.mak (Win) = notepad.exe
.bat (Win) = notepad.exe
.cmd (Win) = notepad.exe
.sql (Win) = "isqlw.exe"

Just specify the full path for query analyser (ISQLW.exe) and it should all be fine.

-- Gavin

Hi Gavin ;

Thanks for giving me nice help. I changed my ini files in my personal PC not on the Server where we saved our VSS database.

I wrote :

.sql (Win) = "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\isqlw.exe"

But , it is not working and my SQL Files are using VS.NET editor and opens in it.

Waiting for your response.

I also changed my file type from Windows Explorer and Tools menu. But , it does not work for me as well.
Essa

Muhammad Essa Mughal
Software Engineer
iLogic Inc.

Muhammad,

On my system I needed to changed my INI file on the VSS server, and restart VSS.

-- Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back