Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS And Access Linked Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaker36

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
CA
Does anybody know how or what does VSS manage with regards to linked backend tables in the frontend database? There is an option there to checkout the table but it is linked so what does that mean? You can't change table design of a linked table in the frontend so why do you have to check it out? Is VSS smart enough to version control the tables in the backend database if you only enable VSS in the frontend database? Do you have to add the backend database to VSS too? I can't find any information on this so I would really appreciate it if you could share with me how you manage backend databases in VSS. I find it strange that I can't find any info on this. Am I missing something here? I would like to get some info on this before I add all my Access database frontends to VSS.

Thanks

I have read in a book handling Micosoft Visual Studio that it is best practice to NOT add any kind of database (be it Access, SQL Server etc) to the VSS database. When I add a project folder which contains an Access database, I then go back, right click the file and choose 'Remove From Source Control'. This takes it out of source control thereby eliminating potential problems.

Hi Shaker,

Did you ever figure this out how Sourcesafe handles linked tables?

Is VSS a good tool to use to source control an Access database? (it's the only tool out there...)

If you could give me some info from your experiences, that would be greatly appreciated. =)

Thanks!

If you add an MS-Access database to sourcesafe, be sure to clear the "other objects" from the list of objects to check in. Otherwise your data is checked in in sourcesafe. I do not know what is stored when using linked tables, but I don't want any tabledata in sourcesafe whatsoever (I mean, what's the point in storing one database in another?).
Apart from the extra startup time when starting a checked-in database and some sourcesafe bugs, I think it is a workable solution to keep your modules, queries etc. in sourcesafe.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back