Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VShadow issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlegmer

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2005
US
Greetings,

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum to pose this problem so if it isn't please point me elsewhere.

I'm writing a script for our facility that will allow the user to backup parts of their HDD to the server. I want to utilize VShadow.exe in order to get around locked .PST files when this script gets run. The script will be on a network share for the end users to launch (or maybe even schedule). The basics of the script will be similar to
I can get it to work just fine when I do everything local, the problem occurs when I try to do it from a shared mapped drive. Here is the call I'm making from the script:

z:\vshadow.exe -script=vss-setvar.cmd -exec=vss-exec.cmd c:

The following are the errors I get when running it from the mapped drive:

VSHADOW.EXE 2.2 - Volume Shadow Copy sample client
Copyright (C) 2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

(Option: Generate SETVAR script 'vss-setvar.cmd')
(Option: Execute binary/script after shadow creation 'C:\Windows\Temp\VSS\vss-exec.cmd')
(Option: Create shadow copy set)
(Gathering writer metadata...)
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
Initialize writer metadata ...

ERROR: Win32 call "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer
(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())" failed.
- GetLastError() == 3
- Error text: The system cannot find the path specified.

- Please re-run VSHADOW.EXE with the /tracing option to get more details

I then ran -Tracing on a successful local instance and also when it fails from the remote drive. Here is the difference I noticed:

Local Works
---------------

[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] ENTER GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 300]] - Get volume path name for C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 308]] - Path name: C:\ ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 313]] - Volume name for path: \\?\Volume{52543160-dfe3-11d8-9c8a-806d6172696f}\ ...

Remote Fail
--------------

[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] ENTER GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 300]] - Get volume path name for \ ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 308]] - Path name: Z:\ ...
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 312]] Executing Win32 call '"GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())"' ERROR: Win32 call "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())" failed.
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] OUTPUT: ERROR: Win32 call "GetVolumeNameForVolumeMountPointW((LPCWSTR)volumeRootPath.c_str(), WString2Buffer(volumeName), (DWORD)volumeName.length())" failed. - GetLastError() == 3
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] OUTPUT: - GetLastError() == 3 - Error text: The system cannot find the path specified.
[[GetUniqueVolumeNameForPath @ util.h: 296]] OUTPUT: - Error text: The system cannot find the path specified.

Even though I specify C: in the command, it still tries to do z:.

This is running on an XP SP3 client box.

Please advise and thanks!

Figured out a fix myself.

Copy the vshadow files to a temp dir on the pc, then use the START command along with the temp path specified fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back