Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vsftpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremedatos

Technical User
Feb 22, 2010
AR
Hi all,

I need to limit users to only their home directory, with and did the following things
chroot_local_user=YES
/etc/init.d/vsftpd restart
But all users still can see the resto of the folders.

Any idea?

Thanks

Do you also have chroot_list_enable=YES? Are you also using a chroot_list_file, and if so does it list all users?

yes,, i enabled the chroot and added the users i want to the list file.

thanks.

IIRC, the chroot_list_file works in reverse - in other words, you list in it the users you DON'T want chroot_jailed.

Can the users see the contents of the folders outside of their home directories?

I know some FTP clients display the folders outside the chroot but the users can't see or modify the contents.

Can you show use the output of grep chroot /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf?

I just tested both methods, i.e.
[ul]
[li]with just chroot_local_user=YES, and[/li]
[li]with just chroot_list_enable=YES and a test user in the /etc/vsftpd/chroot_list file[/li]
[/ul]

Both times I was placed in the user's home directory and had no access to any other directories.

Annihilannic.

thanks all for your help the issue in my case was the version i installed the 2.3 and is working ok.

thanks all

Why are you stuck on vsftpd ? Any reason you can't change your daemon?

If so, I would recommand proftpd. Much more secure, not that many holes/bugs, easy to configure.

Let me know if you need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back