Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vsftp and IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingenia

Technical User
Mar 16, 2004
US
I have to support an Microsoft IIS web server. I want to add a ftp server. I think I want to use vsftp. Can I and how would I setup vsftp to allow a user to upload files to their IIS web directory?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

From vsftpd.beasts.org: "vsftpd is a GPL licensed FTP server for UNIX systems, including Linux."

So, no, it doesn't work on Windows. You could use IIS' built-in FTP service, or something more robust. We use WS-FTP, but FileZilla also looks pretty good.

Thank you for the reply.

I knew it wouldn't run on Microsoft. I was assuming it would have to run on a different box. I was just wondering if it could do a virtual directory to the IIS box or vise versa, or??

There are 2 possibilities for your task

1. You could use samba bclient on the linux machine to mount the IIS web directories locally on the linux box. Then configure VSFTP to work with that mount.

2. Use samba server with a local share that will be used as the IIS web directory. IIS will use this as a mapped drive. Then configure VSFTP to work with that local directory.

Think this though carefully. There is nothing wrong with either of these approaches, but security needs to be carefully thought through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back