Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VS7 Fails to update engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Does anyone else have this problem when trying to auto update?

Thanks,

BM

Yes, I also have problems updating with ePO 3.
For starters, I don't quite understand the updating mechanism for updating DAT's and ENGINE's for VSE7 and Virusscan 4.5.1 ...
Deploying the ePO agents, uninstalling and installing VS 4.5.1 and VSE7 is working fine.

VSE7 uses the Agent to update the Dat's and Engine.
Just schedule a Epolicy Orchestrator Agent Update tasks
and you will se all VSE7 installations being updated in no time.

grtz

De rooie poon....is never alone

Same problem here.. Engine doesnt update right away.. first epo agent update, then xdat update.. and @ the next logon the engine (sdat) is updated/executed.
These thing right after a fresh deployment of agent and manual installation of VSC7 (+ extra task Update @ logon)

We update from one master and 20 distributed repository's.
The master gets his update's from a source repository (nai on the net).
The master repository replicate's to the distributed repository's.
Repository selection on the client side is done by performing ping's to all the repository's and selecting the fastes one.

Currently i setup the master repository to check the Nai site to obtain the updates. A scheduled replication is set at 4.00 AM (to save bandwidth during production) to replicate 14 BDC's (that also are distributed repository's).

But i also kept the NAI site in the repository list for travelling users that connect to the internet more often then our network.

I must say the 3.0 version has far better support for travelling users then the 2.x version

De rooie poon....is never alone

mrbase, are you saying that you set up the engine updates in the repository?

I recently had a problem with remote VSE 7.0 machines not getting DAT updates. I learned from McAfee there's a known problem with Auto Update Architect in replicating from a master repository to distributed repositories if an incremental replication is used. It doesn't replicate all the stuff under the current folder. I'm sure this probably applies to engine updates as well.

When I do a full replication, everything copies and the remote machines update as advertised.

The problem is supposed to be corrected in AUA in version 1.1 which I hope comes along soon.

By default, ExtraDats & DAT files are updated automatically in 7.0 using epo agent 3.0. Ofcourse, for an effective update of all machines, create an ePO Agent Update Task.

Going back to the original question, this happens DURING THE FIRST UPDATE only. The official explanation from NAI is that the DAT files that were originally included in VSE 7.0 is not supported by the 4.2.60 engine. Thus, when you first run the update, it will fail to update the engine, but will update the DAT files. Once you run another update, then the engine will be updated.

Seems like a trivial thing, but no harm running the update again to ensure the engine gets updated.

AVChap
... been there, done that, made that mistake too, see where I am now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back