Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VS2005 deployment problem with virtual directories 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaAddictedGeek

Programmer
Apr 23, 1999
US
I'm following this article on how to deploy an ASP.NET web project:
According to it, I should get to the wizard and be able to input the name of the virtual directory and the port. Instead, I am getting a different dialog saying that it will install the app to the following "web location" and it gives me a dropdown with existing virtual directories within IIS and the option to create a web site underneath.

Have I created the deployment project incorrectly, or is there something wrong with the way IIS is installed on the box? I need to be able to have this implemented the same way as it shows in the article.

Thanks in advance!

"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is responsible. Universes of virtually unlimited complexity can be created in the form of computer programs."
-Joseph Weizenbaum

VS 2005.

"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is responsible. Universes of virtually unlimited complexity can be created in the form of computer programs."
-Joseph Weizenbaum

In that case, I'd use the Publish Website option. If you create a directory on your web server, use IIS to create a virtual directory for it and set the port, then when you select the Publish Website option simply type the target path in and click OK.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

Would the Publish Website option create files that I can store onto a portable storage space (say a CD) and install onto the computer?

Where I am installing this application is not in the same building let alone network, hence this is an important question.

-Joseph Weizenbaum

Awesome, thank you!

Just one quick question: would I be able to publish the files to a CD, put them on the server, then be able to just create the virtual directory and have them point to the files I put on the server? The last time I did something like this was with VS 2003 and I have no idea if they changed how easily this was managed.

-Joseph Weizenbaum

Thank you, I've tested your solution on a local server and it works--you just saved me a lot of headaches!

-Joseph Weizenbaum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back