Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VS 2010, VS 2012, VS 2013 Compatibility With Win 2003, XP, Win 7. Etc. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auguy

Programmer
May 1, 2004
US
I need to maintain/update a VB.net program running on Windows 2003 server, XP, Win 7, and probably Win 8 soon. The application uses SQL 2000 as the database. I currently have VS 2008 professional. I want to upgrade my VS to 2010, 2012, or next version if it is coming out soon. I want to install VS on my development Win 7 computer, but be able to generate exe's that will run on the other platforms. I read somewhere that with VS 2012 as long as I don't target anything above .Net 4.0 I will be OK. Can any body clarify this for me? Should I go to 2012 or wait for new version (November 13 ?) and will it run on Win 7? I don't want to be forced into Win 8. Any other advice is most welcome.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

I don't know about VS 2012 or WIN8. I work in a mixed environment with WIN 2003 Server, 2008 Server, XP, 7. I use VS2010. As long as I target framework 3.0, I'm OK. I can target 3.5 as long 2003 Server is not the intended platform. I can target 4.0 for 2008 Server and WIN7. I prefer not to play the framework version game. I usually get bit by it.

I stick with framework 3.0. I recently had an app that I was told would only run on WIN7. I wrote it for framework 4.5. Wouldn't you know it? Someone decided that they wanted the app loaded on their XP machine. :).

XP does support 4.0 but not 4.5. I once tried installing 4.0 on 2003 Server but was unsuccessful.

Tom
[pumpkin]

Visual Studio 2013 will run on Win 7 and 8. Here's a link to the system requirements for the various version of VS 2013:
Visual Studio 2012 will run on Win 7 and 8.

Visual Studio 2010 will run on XP, 7 & 8.

Just Google "Visual Studio <year> system requirements" (without quotes and insert appropriate year) for more detail.

For the .NET Framework system requirements, here's a link: . From this page it looks like you heard correctly. .NET 4.0 will run on Windows versions all the way back to Win 98. .NET 4.5 only works on Win 7+.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Thanks to both of you.

Jeb, I saw Talk Like a Pirate Day mentioned on network TV a few weeks ago.

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

For those of you interested in VS 2012 or VS 2013. Looks like you can purchase VS 21012 now and buy an update to VS 2013 for $99 before end of Jan 2014. Link

Auguy
Sylvania/Toledo Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back