Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NA22

MIS
Oct 29, 2003
US
I have a vpn connection setup through RRAS, I am able to connect to the RRAS server with no problems, but I am not able to go to the rest of the network from there.
I am running static ip through RRAS.
I have added a static route to the other server even tried using DHCP, I get the same result every time.
Any Thoughts from anyone would help

Thanks

I am running static ip through RRAS
Didn't understand what you meant by that at all.

even tried using DHCP
Wouldn't suggest it, VPN does not play well with DHCP.

How it is supposed to work . . .

If you are using a RFC compliant network address on your server side network, 192.168.xx.0 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet for example, and your VPN server is assigned addresses from that same range, your client should connect (assuming a Windows based client using a Networking Wizard connection) then add a route to the server side network.

This doesn't work if you aren't following the RFC addressing scheme, or if the network addresses are the same on the client network as the server network.

If you need further explaination:

What addressing shceme are you using on the server side network (network address and subnet)? Client side (same)?

What version of Windows (or otherwise) are you running on the client (incuding SP)? Are you using a Networking Wizard connection or one built with CMAK?

Bring up the VPN connection on the client, open a command window and type 'route print' (before you add any routes). Block out some of the digits in any public IPs and post.

On the server side my address scheme is 192.168.X.X
At the remote site the address scheme is 192.168.0.x
But I experience the same problems when logging in from my home.
I have no problems connecting into the server, but there I am not able to access the other server on my network which hosts mail and all network resources.

where is your 'route print'?

How are you trying to access your network? Using computer names or IP? What happens if you ping one of the computers by IP?

If I try to ping a computer by name or ip address, I get timed out.
What info do you want from "route print" I do not have access to the remote sites at the moment.
I know what there ip. etc come up to be when setup.
I am sure this problem is in the server and not the remote clients

Could this be caused by by the firewalls/filters at the router level (or an additional firewall) not allowing pinging packets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back