Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN without a static IP address on server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oquinnc

Technical User
Feb 27, 2001
US
Is it possible to set up a VPN without a static IP address on the server?

I am running a network using NT 4.0. Networking is fine and shared access to the Internet is fine. For some of our folks who are outside of the office, I would like to set up a VPN. Our cable provider (cable modem) will not issue us a static IP, as this is against their policy. The server must obtain it automatically.

Has anyone set up a VPN in this situation?

Every time you connect to the internet your provider will assign a temporary IP address. Using IPCONFIG under DOS you will be able to determine it. Give your remote users that IP address, setup their access privileges and you are all set. You will have to do this every time you get disconnected from the Internet.

hey oq,

I bought a BFR### linksys router ($170) and purchased TZO ($50) software. It works perfect. 10 minute setup for me.

Dependant upon the type of VPN software you are using you may be able to base the VPN connection upon a user name and password? This may be easier for your end users. Another possible method to resolve this is to write a script that will do the ipconfig for user automagically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back