Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN with W2003 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrant88

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
CA
Hello

I'm trying to set up VPN with Windows 2003 server, and it looks like I'm almost there

From remote Client:
1. I can ping the Server, either by name or IP address
2. However, I cannot see the server anywhere in the 'Network places'

From Server:
1. I cannot ping the remote client, neither by name nor by IP address
2. I don't see the remote client anywhere in the 'Network places'
3. Event Viewer, however said the connection is there and everything is OK, here is the information inside Event Viewer:

The user TTT\User1 has connected and has been sucessfully authenticated on port VPN5-126. Data sent and received over this line is strongly encrypted.
The user TTT\User1 logon connected on port VPN5-126 has been assigined address 169.254.85.102

Again, I did check all the possible setting on the server side under Routing & Remote Access, and couln't see anything obvious that I can change to make this work. I must have missed something, but not sure what it is yet, please anyone have any suggestions, woudl be greatly appreciated

Thanks
TT

client issue looks like master browser problem. use nrwstat to troubelshoot it.

server issue sounds like routing table problem. post the routing table here may help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Thanks for the quick answer

I know very little about this, not sure what you mean by posting the routing table

TT

. Netbios over TCP/IP enabled on client and server?
. Different network subnets?

If the server is issuing DHCP addresses in the 192.168.1.x range, you must have a different subnet for your local workstation/LAN. Try setting your local LAN to 192.168.2.x

This may sound like a rookie question...
But why do they have to be on different subnets?

So it can figure out what gateway to use.

Hello everyone,

Well, all I need to do really was to join the remote client to dommain and it works just fine after that.

Thanks for your input, very appreciated
TT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back