Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN with Server 2008 and WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoota

Technical User
Nov 24, 2008
NZ
Hi

I've created two VPN connections on a WinXP laptop, the only difference is the WAN and LAN IP addresses. I'm having a problem connecting to a server 2008 with VPN via WAN (away from the school). The same laptop connects ok via LAN while at school.

Also a Win7 connects ok via WAN using the same internet connection and AP away from the school.

Network configuration is:
Windows server 2008 stn with SP2
Laptop, WinXP Pro SP2

The error message is error 721 "The remote computer did not respond".

Any help will be appreciated.

Need more info. How are the VPNs configured? Identically? Are does the XP laptop have the appropriate DNS server addresses to resolve names, etc?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Thanks for the reply. I think it is working ok now, well it is for one teacher's laptop that I was susing to test, so hopefully for all. In the end I gave up trying to connect remotely so went to the school to test if it would over the netwrok. Obviously changed the ip to local address and it logged on ok. Took it back to the office, changed the ip address to WAN and it worked ok. So I have no idea why it just started working. If other teachers cannot VPN remotely I'll come back to you.

VPNs were configured manually. Only thing I configured while setting up was the WAN address and in the conection properties security tab, ticking the box to use the users login name and password.

The IP and DNS is dynamically asigned on the wireless adapter.

I'm not sure if these are the right answers your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back