Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN with pipeline 50 and isdn

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhope

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I have looked at the user's guide on the pipeline and it sound like I need two units to establish a VPN, is this correct? What I am trying to do is setup a dial-up ISDN with the pipeline so that our people can access the interenet. Then I want to be able to connect from home over the internet to the ISDN connection (I have a cable modem at home) to be able to download and upload files. I was told I could do this, but I would have to configure the pipeline to autodial. It would seem to me that unless the ISDN line was up all the time, this would not work. Any IDEAS!!!!

You can use IPSec from Pipeline to Pipeline. But you can also use Lucent IPSec Client software to connect from a PC with Internet access to your Pipeline. Call Lucent Presales to inquire about purchasing Lucent IPSec Client. Their number is 888-426-2252.

You would need the Pipeline to be connected for this to work. Normally the Pipeline would automatically dial out if traffic from the Pipeline's LAN is destined for the Internet. But most likely your ISP is not set up to call you if traffic from the Internet is destined for your Pipeline LAN. Therefore it is up to the Pipeline to maintain your connection. You can configure for perm/switched. This will keep your connection up and will automatically redial if your connection is dropped. The downside is if you are charged per minute on your ISDN line this can get expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back