Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN with 3des over 56k modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zugdud

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2003
US
Greetings, I am considering implimenting a VPN over our current direct dial-in setup. Will a 56k modem connection be able to handle the 168bit encryption at a decent speed or will this significantly slow down performance? If anyone has ever had experience working over a 168bit encrypted vpn with 56k modems can you give me some kind of idea of the performance hit you take?

thanks

I can't give you exact numbers, but the difference between DES and 3DES (56/168) isn't going to be all that noticeable over a 56k line. EVERYTHING is slow at that point. Additionally you have the added benefit of stronger encryption.

Ultimately there is a difference, but not much. Try it out yourself and see if you can tell the difference. Or do the pepsi challenge, set up 2 pc's have one as DES and the other as 3DES and have someone else test both and see which one they think is slower. Most likely they can't tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back