Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN where both LAN and Remote LAN are using same range

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtoitall

Technical User
Jun 16, 2005
GB
Hi

My boss is travelling and is using hotel lan to connect to company lan. Problem is the hotel lan is using the same LAN IP range as the company LAN. i,e 192.168.0.1

When he tracert 192.168.0.1 , it obviously is routing the traffic to the hotel LAN and not down the VPN.

Has any experienced this before and managed to somehow manage to route traffic thru the VPN and back again?

BTW, just using the default Microsoft windows VPN client to connect via PPTP.

Yes, its a major reason why you should never use the 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x as they are the most common.

I appreciate that, and something I wasn't involved in, as I inherited LAN.

Is there a solution? Surely there must be!!

Unfortunately there is no way around this issue. If your internal IP is 192.168.0.x, you are going to experience this issue in many situations. I would suggest that you change your company's IP range to something more like 192.168.123.x. If your clients are all set for DHCP, this should be a relatively easy switch.... happy to help you through it.

Rob

If you have the need for one or two servers to connect you could add a different range to the NIC on the server use a second IP address to address another router and have them coexist such as

VPN SERVER 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.123.10 (use the same last set for simple memory)

Set a router up to handle the incoming traffic (assuming you have a 2nd Public IP to use or you could hang it off the first connection with PORT forwarding to the specific machine. Once the VPN is establihed any other machines that need to be accessed could then have their IP addresses duplicated on both subnets.

This seems tough but it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back