Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN vs RDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
I am trying to access my computer at the office from home

Details
office computer is running Winxp pro
connected to the internet via LAN
we have a lynksys 4 port router BEFSR41-ca v.2
there are 4cpu's on the router
no firewall except the router or xp

the home computer is running win98se
connected to the internet via ethernet)
NO router
NO firewall

i have decided to use VPN to do this.
i used port forwarding on Lynksys to use ports 47 & 1723 with both protocols & an IP of 192.168.1.100 (my LAN IP)

Now i was able to connect to my office computer but i do not know what to do now. i could not see any folders or directories on my computer at the office.
which program do i use to do this. (i.e windows explorer)
which folders will be accessible. do i have to set all the folders to sharing & with XP server do i have to change the firewall to allow users from the internet access.

if i set up port forwarding is my computer with LAN 192.168.1.100 the only one that can be accessed from the outside

can someone get into the router (and make changes i.e. open ports) from outside if they know the WAN IP & the password for the router.

if i set up port forwarding like this (with no firewall protection) will anyone be able to get into my system or would they have to log in with my username and password that i enter when i log in with the win98 VPN client.

if i set up port forwarding like this (and use the Windows firewall) and set exceptions for each of the programs & services to "Change Scope" to "Custom List" and enter my IP address from my home computer. Will this protect me from the outside.

Under windows firewall exceptions i have the following programs allowed.
file & print sharing (i am to assume that this is only to files & printers I have set as "Share" through windows explorer
UPnP Framework - what does this allow

Do you have to create a VPN to use Remote Desktop or does Remote desktop work on its own.

I also have remote desktop set up but i could not access it. however i have openned up port 3389 on the server so now i hope it will work.

if i am to connect to the server do i have to connect to the the WAN IP address or the LAN IP address.

i would appreciate if you could provide me with what you can. i have looked for 2 days to solve this problem. i think i am close.

You should probably just try to get your RDC up and working first. The VPN part is more complex. RDC has its own security, and a separate VPN is not required to use it.

IT worked.
Last night i was able to access my computer from home using the RDC & not VPN. I didnt realize that i can access anything just like i was in front of my work computer. That was quite interesting.

Now here on this issue i have a few questions.
I have a username & strong password. therefore do i have to worry about someone logging onto my computer.

is the data that i am looking at encrypted so that no one can "see it".

I was able to copy files from work cpu to home & print them out at home. can i also print from work using RDC or do i have to use VPN.

Now how do i go about using VPN (if printing at the office) I can connect but i can not find my computer.

Also i ran a scan using an online scanner and it told me that "We have determined that you do not have any firewall blocking UDP ports!" as well "TCP port 139 is open but not seen" Are these issues i should be worried about. & if so do i have to resolve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back