Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN vs pcAnywhere - Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclipse33

Programmer
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Here is the situation:

I want to connect to my office computer to another office computer do update once a day some information for about 10-15 minutes. Both offices are each on their own network of about 4 computers .One office has Windows XP and the other had Windows 98. Both computers are behind Linksys Routers - model BEFSR41. I have been told two suggestinos to make these two computers connect...

1. pcAnywhere
2. VPN

I have done some research and pcAnywhere seems to be an easier setup, however I would invite any of you to please share your comments on each one, pro's and con's

Thanks for your help...
eclipse33

First question: will the admin at the other site allow you a VPN account? I don't know about anybody else, but in our company, I don't allow just anyone to have access to the network.

pcAnywhere would probably be the most viable option, however, there are many questions that need to be answered (such as internal IP addressing - will their current setup allow you to connect directly to that computer without a VPN connection)? Will your current network setup allow you to actually connect outside to another network? We, for example, do not. We use a Watchguard Firebox X1000 for DVCP (remote site) and VPN connections.

Not much of a help, but a little bit of insight perhaps.

Christopher Ryan
cryan.at.colemans.ca
visit us online @

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back