Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN vs. Frame Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjs1978

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
US
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a VPN vs. frame relay? Four sites, all connected over DSL or Frac T1? I'm trying to weigh all aspects. Cost, Security, Reliability, Maintenance overhead, speed, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

It depends on what you want to do over the next few years. I use VPN to all 20 locations that I have, each has their own T1. I am using VOIP, so I need the bandwidth. I use VPN for redundancy also, i can reroute if HQ's connection goes down , since there is no hard wired connections. I guess you need to ask yourself and your company where they want to be in 5 years or so, and build for the future. You know how hard it is to change once you institute a solution.

Geoff

jjs,
we are going through some of the same questions with one of my clients. we have been down the vpn path, then the frame path and now think vpn again. from a security point it should not matter for either with the proper firewalls in place. maintenance will be about the same since you may have router/config issues on either wan app.
speed should also be a non-factor except for a couple of points- 1. frame is only as fast as your pocket book allows and 2. vpn is only as fast as the individual site speed provided (dsl, t-1, dial up). So that leaves cost and reliability. with vpn the cost is going to be more upfront, and with frame it is upfront and ongoing (monthly). that leaves reliability which is why we can't make a decision, we are not sure either:)
good luck and gba

fuzzywuzzhe:

Please check my feedback under the frame relay forum. jjs1978 asked the same question under the FR forum.

Having VPNing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back