Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN via XP Pro to XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack12

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
US
Hi, I have 2 XP Pro machines. One at work and one at home.

I have setup my work machine to be a XP server and I am connecting to it from home. I see the message where it says connected but the wierd thing is that the ip address that it gets assigned is the same as the one on the other side. I cannot see any resources on the server however when I do a netstat on the server I do see that there is a connection.

My setup is:

Work Machine has one nic card ip address eg: 172.16.32.10 (in actuality ip is a public ip. this is just an eg.)

Home Machine: Is Dual Homed.
One nic card has got a public ip 192.168.223.10 (just an eg. in real its a public ip)

Second Nic card has a internal address of 10.10.10.1 that I use for my internal network at home.

When I connect to the vpn connection I see that it asks me for a username and password and than it connects and I verified on both ends that there is a connection via netstat however when I do a ipconfig I see that both sides have the same ip address assigned 192.168.0.150 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. How do I fix this. Please help.

Ok I changed the ip address assignment on the VPN Server so now my home machine and my server get a different ip address but the subnet mask is still: 255.255.255.255.

Also a couple of other questions:

I do know that the connection gets established because the message pops up that the user is connected and netstat shows that a pptp connection to the ip address is active. But I cannot access resources. I have verified that the vpn server is set to allow access to local lan checked.

Also which ip address should I use to get access to local resources. Should I use the ip address assigned to the server on its vpn interface or should i use the public ip. I used the public ip to connect to the server from the client however I would think that once the vpn is established I should be able to use the ip address on the vpn interface to get access. In my case of course I cannot ping the other sides vpn assigned ip address because I think my mask is set to 255.255.255.255 and there is no default gateway configured. Please help.

quoted from
Why my XP VPN client's subnet mask is 255.255.255.255

This is by design. Since this connection is point to point, not point to net or net to net, VPN server assigns 255.255.255.255 mask to the client.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Hack,

First off, 255.255.255.255 and no default gateway is correct for your PPP connection via the VPN. I'm guessing your VPN server is dual-homed as well. Make sure the default gateway for both systems (home and work) on on the WAN (Internet) side, not the LAN side. Can you ping work LAN computers from home when the VPN is established?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back