Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Via broadband seems very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvrjcu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2003
AU
I have recently set up a VPN between my work and home. My home connection is 512/128. By my calculation that should mean that the average connection speed for networking between home and work should be around 16kb per sec. I realise there are overheads associated with VPN, however the machine is crawling at around 1k per sec if that. Is there some secret to VPN that im unaware of? does anyone have any ideas or similar circumstances?

Both systems are running XP Pro, Athlon 2400's 512 ram 512/128 mbit adsl connections. I would really really appreciate assistance on this matter.

Cheers
[afro2]

I have the same problems and have not been able to find out how to improve VPN performance. Very frustrating. I do believe that some of it has got to be some type of Microsoft overhead when accessing files because I can ftp over the VPN with decent performance.

What are you conncecting to? ISA server, VPN server, Router? What is slow? file transfer web access, application? do you have a firewall, or do you have the firewall enabled on your XP box?

Geoff

I'm running Intel VPN client on a Win2000 box and if I have my s/w firewall running performance is poor. Shutting it down while I'm using VPN has solved my problem.

trailman73,
I am connecting via pptp from a WinXP client to a Win2K server using RRAS. Any file downloads are extremely slow. Ftp downloads are not so bad. Have not been able to find anything that speeds up the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back