Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a Win2k server set up for VPN access. I can log on with a VPN client while at our office (on the same network). However, I've tried multiple connections outside of the office and all connections hang at "Verifying User Name and Password."

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help me! Thank you.

I'm having the same problems, except now, after hanging for a long time at the auth, it finally gives me a 650 error.
It does work internally. I've checked and I am definitely getting gre packets through correctly.

Make sure you are using the external ip address of the firewall...
And also check on the server that you are allowed dial in access..

Elizabeth

Is your VPN inside or outside a firewall? If outside can you ping the vpn server after you connect to the ISP. What's the latency of the ping?

scohe04,

UNIX72 is on the right path...are you doing any NAT'ing on your external connections? If so just remember it is better to NAT behind the VPN, it is possible to set up NAT'ing between the VPN and the Internet but is it much more involved.

Bruce : )

OK... I am having the same trouble... I have a CellPipe Lucent ROuter for ADSL. The only way I now how to NAT is to forward everything to my server running MS Small Business Server w/ Win2K. How can I make the NAT'ing behind the VPN?
If I can't do that, what ports do VPNs use (i.e. what static routes should I enter to make the "more involved" NAT'ing between the VPN and internet)

Make sure that ports 47 and 1723 are forwarded to the server this is for PPTP , IPsec is UDP 500 prot51,50. ATMP UDP 5150 GRE.

If all your settings are configured correctly for Authentication. Because I know everyone thoroughly check that already . Then it should work . Let me know if there is a firewall on both sides or NAT enable on the client side.

What exactly is so involved with teh NAT thing if the VPN server is behind it anyway???
We have a sonicwall and it looks like it will be farely straight forward but I keep seeing that it is not. We already use NAT successfully for pcAnywhere.

Are you using any additional authentication? PPPOE or PPPOA may be having an effect on this, info can be found by a search (may be able to be fixed with a reg fix on MTU settings from client computer. If all else fails, check the logfiles on both host and FW or VPN srever.

This is generally because GRE is not allowed past your firewall. It is also known as prot. 47. Try removing the filter for that prot.

error 751
I have a windows 95 computer with all the service packs and DUN 1.4 installed. The user is on a different LAN network and is trying to VPN into our company's network. While attempting to dial in he gets the error Error 751: The remote computer refused the VPN connection. Please try again latter. If this problem persists, check with your network administrator. Someone had put in a url link for help but it isn't there anymore. Any ideas??

If you are hanging from outside your network, then the problem is most likely with your firewall. There are several things you need to check on:

1. Make sure that you are connecting to the external IP address of your firewall.
2. Assumming that NAT (Network Address Translation) is enabled, you will need to use port forwarding to forward IP protocol 47 to your VPN server. Every NAT enabled firewall has this capability. If you are unfamiliar with how to manage your firewall, contact the technical support of the firewall manufacturer. The should be able to walk you through the correct configuration.

If you do those two things, you should be set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am using a windows 98 Second Edition Lap top . When I am trying to VPN into my company's network or attempting to dial, I get the following error:

“Error 751: The remote computer refused the VPN connection. Please try again latter. If this problem persists, check with your network administrator.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back