Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN through proxy server problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkcom

Technical User
Jul 7, 2000
US
Proxy server is win95 workstation running analog x.
VPN client is nortel extranet running on nt workstation.

NT workstation can access the web just fine but when I try to connect to the extranet server , client times-out indicating the extranet server is not responding.
Unable to ping the extranet server either (although I'm not sure if pinging would work through a proxy anyway).

(Please note there is a problem where the nt machine can't see the win 95 machine in network neighborhood - see the
NT workstation forum for details.)

Some other VPN questions and replys I've read indicated that
ip forwarding may resolve this type of problem ?

Any advise anyone may have would be greatly appreciated as I need this access for my corporate intranet.

Thanks !

Your proxy server on the win95 box might not support VPN routing (or ping). I tried a billion different servers (having the same problem you did) and finally found one that works: Sybergen Access Server (I think it's now called Sybergen Office Network). It worked great on the server machine (running win98) and a WinNT client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back