Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Through Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinzul

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
US
I'm trying to set up a VPN for my office. We are running Windows Server 2003 behind a Cisco 1700 router and a Fortinet 50 Firewall. I'm a little confused as to how to set this up. Everything i have tried so far does not work. The Firewall has the ability to set up a VPN built into it where it will store log-in information to validate a user. I have set that up to their spcifications, and the client computer seems to establish a connection, however i am unable to view anything on the work network. Remote access on the server doesn't show that a computer is connected. I'm assuming this is becasue i'm using the tunnel through the firewall. Any help would be great.

They are actually. The VPN Actually connects and assigns a correct IP. It's just after that nothing else works.

it could be the routing table issue. post the ip ranges and routing table here may help.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

I am assumming your VPN is PPTP... Have you already opened TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47 on the firewall? You will probably need to enable PPTP passthrough on the firewall too, if it has the ability to configure PPTP passthrough.

I have not opened port 1723 or protocol 47, not really sure if the Fortigate 50 supports allowing PPTP to pass through. The firewall itself has the capability of authenticating and allowing access through VPN. The documentation does not give a way to allow pass through. Does anyone know if this is possible with this router?

The ip range the firewall is assigning is 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.10 All of the other network PC's are in the 192.168.0.1 range.

I've read on other threads that it isn't possible to view the network computers in My Network Places through a VPN, so how do i gain access to files?

Hi ..
how did you make the clients connect to the fortigate 50 ??? i have a similar setup .. and cant get the clients to be authenticated .. i cant get the phae 2 validation .. if you could help me i would be VERY happy ..
You shold have no probs allowing pptp trafic through ...

You assign addresses x.x.1.1 -> x.x.1.10 to a network running x.x.0.x ... do you have a router that forwards the traffic???
else theres the first prob!!
regards
Sune

Generally, there are several ways to setup a VPN. A device/firewall, with another device or client on the other end (I have not used Fortinet 50 Firewall). This method, the users are authenticated to connect to the internal LAN, but will not be authenticated on the Windows Domain. I suggest using your Windows 2003 server to be your VPN server, then setup the Fortinet to have a VPN pass through tunnel (using port forwarding). External VPN connections should be on a different IP range, as mentioned above. If not, you will have DNS issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back