Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN - Still confused over terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have gone through this forum and hopefully read all the relevant posts, however I am still confused.

I am in the process of setting up a small office network. The network will consist of Win xp Pro Desktops and a Win 2003 server. A remote user will want to connect to the server via VPN. Both office and remote user will be on broadband.

I have been looking for a ADSL modem/firewall/VPN/router and have been confused by all the options. The Netgear DG834G seems to have all of these, however when reading the PDF datasheet, it says that hs 'VPN pass-through'. Does this mean that it can pass the relevant VPN protocol through to the VPN server, where-ever it is? It also says that it can 'host VPN services'.. does this mean that it is a VPN server? Getting very confused..

As far as i understand it, I need a VPN server for the remote user to connect to. I have experimented with setting up a Win2000 server as a vpn server.. however it did not work because I only have one nic card in the server and therefore one internet connection. This will be the same situation in the office setup I am planning..

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be gratefully recieved..

Regards,

Nell1

if you use pass-through router, you need setup windows server. You can buy a vpn router without installing the windows server. If you have a router, you don't need two NICs.

quoted form

How to setup VPN on w2k server with one NIC

Symptoms: When attempting to create VPN on w2k server with one NIC, you may receive "You have chosen the last available connection as the Internet connection. A VPN server required that one connection be used as the private network connection" if you select the NIC.

1. You should highlight No internet connection instead of the NIC or LAN connection.
2. You may try "Manually configured server option".

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

When looking at these "appliances" - or "residential" grade devices - "pass-thru" means you can be "behind" it.

But from there, you will need to be using client software, or sitting on the other type of router - one for which the description will always tell you HOW MANY TUNNELS it can support or host at one time. This can vary from 2 (Linksys BEFSX41) to 8, to 40, to 50 to 70 - all for under $200.

These too may accommodate "pass-thru," because there might be individuals (including yourself) using preconfigured client software or XP VPN widgets (say, on a laptop) that will connect right "thru" that "VPN router" (or non-VPN router)... IF it can correctly "pass through" the IPSec information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back